Friday, April 16, 2010

It's All in the Family

Former SCR Theatre Conservatory Director Laurie Woolery will stage the Oregon Shakespeare Festival’s production of The Language Archive, which had its world premiere last month at SCR.  The play will open the 2011 Season in OSF’s New Theatre.

Some background:  This will be the first OSF play directed by Woolery, who is currently associate artistic director at Cornerstone Theatre Company.  Cornerstone was founded by Bill Rauch, who is currently OSF’s artistic director.  As if that’s not enough closeness, Rauch staged four productions at SCR (Lovers and Executioners in 2003, Habeas Corpus in 2004, The Further Adventures of Hedda Gabler in 2006 and My Wandering Boy in 2007). 

Woolery is a graduate of SCR Professional Acting Program and appeared in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and six seasons of  A Christmas Carol.  She wrote and directed the SCR Players productions of Bliss, The Hundred Dresses and Orphan Train: The Lost Children and taught in the Adult Acting Program.

When Laurie received the call from Bill, asking her to direct the show, it came as a real surprise.  “I love Bill, and I love his work,” she said.  “I’ve gone up to Ashland to see his shows, and obviously we’re still in contact, but I really wasn’t expecting this offer.  When the call came, Bill told me that he was doing The Language Archive next season and wanted me to direct.  He said, ‘When I read the play I thought you could really do something great with it.’  And so, when I was able to pick up my jaw from the floor, I accepted!”

No comments:

Post a Comment